Bed and Breakfast at my home, how?
1. Motivation Test
I would like to welcome guests in my home...
- The visitors will ask me questions (about activities, places to visit,
ways of transportation); am I well enough informed to answer these questions?
Am I ready to invest the necessary amount of time, i.e., to be available
at any time?
- Although I receive some money for my work I am prepared to the fact
that the quality of my hospitality, my smile and the personal relation
are more important than the financial aspect, as well for me as for
- Do I wish to learn about the culture of my guests? Am I sociable?
Am I curious, open to others?
- Do I speak one or several foreign languages? If no, can I communicate
with my guests on a nonverbal level?
In order to start as a Bed and Breakfast host you should of course answer
with “yes” to most of these questions!
2. Financial Questions
For the realization of my plan I have to invest...
- Is the house, in which I intend to install a guest room attractive
for a tourist? Are there any disturbances nearby? Will my guest like
my house and its environment?
- Do I have enough money to provide a guest accommodation corresponding
to the usually required comfort?
- Am I aware that for the same comfort and equal furnishings the price
can be lower than in a hotel?
- Did I consider that the rentability of my guest room can vary according
to the season and occupation rate (3 years build-up time needed)?
- Do I have additional money for the promotion of my accommodation or
Even if the motivation is not due to a financial reason, you should
make an investment appraisal.
I wish to receive support and consulting by specialists. Whom can I contact?
- First of all "Bed and Breakfast Switzerland" (see contact
page) will be pleased to give me all necessary information and consult
me during the entire time of my project.
- The local tourist information centres can inform me, can provide me
with the necessary documentation for my guests and support me in promotion.
- It is also advantageous to contact an existing Bed and Breakfast nearby.
The best advice comes from people who have some experience already.
4 Insurances and Taxes
What measures do I have to take to realize my project?
- Am I allowed, as a tenant, to sublet one or several rooms?
- Don’t forget to declare this income in your tax return (cat.
- For ex. Valais : If you accommodate more than 6 guests, you are liable
to the law for the catering and hotel industry and the trade with alcoholic
beverages (GGG). (section 2, art. 3 g)
- Holiday guests must pay a special holiday tax which the host has to
collect and forward to the tourist office / authorities.
- Remember to check your household contents insurance regarding fire,
water damages and other damages possibly caused by your guests.
Every satisfied guest is the best promotion in his own country.